WELCOME TO OUR SITE
• On this site, you will find information about who we are, the services we offer and information on colorectal diseases and its management, our research and our practice locations.
• There are links for both GPs and other health professionals and patients to contact us for enquiries, referrals and Direct Access Colonoscopy. Our practice locations include Westmead Hospital, Westmead Private Hospital and Hospital for Surgical Specialist in Baulkham Hills.
• To make an appointment, call 1300 168 178 or fax your referral to (02) 8011 1276.
• Dr James Toh is a consultant Colorectal and General Surgeon appointed at Westmead Hospital. He specialises in minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery and has expertise and experience in treating a wide range of colorectal and general surgical conditions.
FIELD OF EXPERTISE
• Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive and Robotic Colorectal Surgery
• Laparoscopic and Open Hernia Repairs
• Management of Colorectal Cancer
• Management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Management of Perianal Conditions - Haemorrhoids, Fissures, Fistulae, Anal Cancer
• Colonoscopy, Gastroscopy, Polypectomy
• Haemorrhoidal Banding, Haemorrhoidectomy, Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation
• Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
CONDITIONS WE TREAT
• We are experienced in the management of a wide range of general surgical and colorectal conditions including:
• Colorectal Cancer and Polyps
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
• Perianal conditions such as Haemorrhoids, Fissures, Fistulae, Anal Cancer
• Rectal Prolapse
• Inguinal Hernias, Umbilical and Other Hernias
• Biliary Colic and Cholecystitis
• Gastritis and Peptic Ulcer Disease
• Management of Benign Soft Tissue Tumours, Lipomas, Appendicitis
• Pilonidal Sinus and Abscesses
• Dr Toh is nationally and internationally recognised as a surgeon, researcher and is a senior lecturer with the University of Sydney.
• He has won numerous awards and prizes including the Mark Killingback Colorectal Research Prize, being a finalist in the NSW Australian Medical Association (AMA) Supervisor of the Year Awards, Citizen of the Year (Liverpool) at the National Australia Day Council Awards, Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ) Research Award, University of New South Wales (UNSW) Associate Dean Teaching Award, Tutor of the Year at the South Western Clinical School, UNSW.
• He has also been the recipient of numerous grants and fellowships including the RACS Foundation for Surgery Research Grant, SSWAHS Research Grant, John Flynn Scholarship and Morgan Travelling Fellowship, which allowed him to undertake and complete his training in robotic colorectal surgery in Korea.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• Dr Toh studied Medicine at UNSW, graduating in 2005. He completed his internship and residency at Liverpool Hospital and then trained at St George Hospital, RPAH Hospital, Tweed Hospital, Wollongong Hospital, Fairfield Hospital and Liverpool Hospital.
• He completed his general surgical training, becoming a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
• He then completed 3 additional years of sub-specialty training in Colorectal Surgery (at Liverpool Hospital, Bankstown Lidcombe Hospital and Concord Repatriation General Hospital) and then visited Korea University Anam Hospital as the International Visiting Surgeon in Robotic Surgery.
• Dr Toh is a member of RACS, CSSANZ, General Surgeons Australia (GSA) and is a friend of the National Rural Health Alliance (NRHA). He is accredited by the Gastrointestinal Enterological Society of Australia (GESA) in gastroscopy and colonoscopy. He is also a member of the Centre for Oncology Education and Research Translation (CONCERT) at the Ingham Institute of Applied Research and lecturer for UNSW and University of Sydney, and is a member of the Millenium Institute.
IN THE MEDIA
• Hills News
• Liverpool Champion
• NSW AMA DIT Awards
• South West Sydney Research http://www.southwestsydneyresearch.org.au/south-west-sydney-researchers-recognised-as-heroes-of-liverpool/
• SouthWest Voice