• You will need bowel preparation for colonoscopy and for some elective colorectal procedures (as advised by specialist).
• Please purchase PICOPREP from the hospital pharmacy.
• After a colonoscopy, you cannot drive home. Please arrange for family member or friend to accompany you home.
• Rare complications of colonoscopy include perforation and bleeding. If this occurs you may need emergency care.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY
YOU MAY HAVE BREAKFAST. DO NOT EAT AFTER BREAKFAST. YOU MAY DRINK FLUIDS UNTIL MIDNIGHT (do not eat or drink after midnight).
DRINK LOTS OF CLEAR FLUIDS THROUGHOUT THE DAY. This is important to avoid dehydration.
• 11am Mix the first sachet of Picoprep in a glass of water and drink.
• 2pm Mix the second sachet of Picoprep in a glass of water and drink.
• 5pm Mix the final sachet of Picoprep in a glass of water and drink.
• Please ensure that there is a minimum of 2 hours between the doses of PICOPREP. IN TOTAL 3 SACHETS OF PICOPREP.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY
• DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ON THE DAY OF YOUR COLONOSCOPY
• 7am Take your regular medications as usual with a SIP OF WATER. DO NOT TAKE FOOD OR DRINK WATER, SIP ONLY ALLOWED AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WHAT ARE CLEAR FLUIDS?
• Plain jelly (lemon, orange or pineapple flavours is good, avoid red, blue and purple colour)
• Gatorade, powerade (lemon or lime flavoured - avoid red, blue, purple colour)
• Fruit juices, cordial (avoid red, blue, purple colour, pulp free)
• Clear chicken broth
• Black tea or coffee, no milk