WELCOME TO OUR SITE
• On this site, you will find information about who we are, the services we offer and information on colorectal diseases and its management, our research and our practice locations in Sydney including Westmead Hospital and Westmead Private Hospital.
• There are links for both GPs and other health professionals and patients to contact us for enquiries, referrals and Direct Access Colonoscopy.
• For appointment, email your referral to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax referral to (02) 8011 1276 and we will be in contact shortly.
• If you have any questions, please contact us on 1300 168 178
• If you are not able to speak to a staff member due to staff attending other calls, please leave a message or email us and we will be in contact shortly.
• A/Prof. James Toh is a Clinical Associate Professor at The University of Sydney and is an experienced specialist Colorectal Surgeon and General Surgeon in Sydney.
• He specialises in minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgery and has expertise in treating colorectal and general surgical conditions including colon cancer, rectal cancer, anal cancer, Lynch Syndrome, Familial Adenomatous Polyposis, inflammatory bowel disease including Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis, diverticular disease, inguinal hernia, femoral hernia, umbilical hernia, complex / incisional abdominal hernia, gallbladder disease, haemorrhoids and anal fistulae.
• BSc, MBBS (UNSW), FRACS, FACS, PhD (USyd), member CSSANZ
FIELD OF EXPERTISE
• Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive and Robotic Colon and Rectal Surgery
• Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair
• Open Complex Abdominal Surgery and Hernia Repair
• Colonoscopy, Gastroscopy, Polypectomy, TAMIS
• Haemorrhoidal Banding, Haemorrhoidectomy, Haemorrhoidal Artery Ligation
• Anal Fistula Surgery, Surgery / Botox for Anal Fissure
• Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
• Laparoscopic Appendicectomy
• Surgery for Soft Tissue Tumours including (GIST, Carcinoid, Lymphoma)
• Lipoma Surgery
CONDITIONS WE TREAT
• We are experienced in the management of a wide range of general surgical and colorectal conditions including:
• Colon Cancer
• Rectal Cancer
• Anal Cancer
• Lynch Syndrome and Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis)
• Perianal conditions such as Haemorrhoids, Fissures, Fistulae
• Rectal Prolapse
• Inguinal Hernia
• Femoral Hernia
• Umbilical/Ventral Hernia
• Other Hernias including Complex and Incisional Hernias
• Biliary Colic and Cholecystitis
• Gastritis and Peptic Ulcer Disease
• Benign Soft Tissue Tumours, Lipomas, Appendicitis
• A/Prof. Toh is nationally and internationally recognised as a Colorectal Surgeon, General Surgeon, Cancer Researcher and is a Clinical Associate Professor with the University of Sydney.
• He has won numerous awards and prizes including the Mark Killingback Colorectal Research Prize, being a finalist in the NSW Australian Medical Association (AMA) Supervisor of the Year Awards, Citizen of the Year (Liverpool) at the National Australia Day Council Awards, Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ) Research Award, University of New South Wales (UNSW) Associate Dean Teaching Award, Tutor of the Year at the South Western Clinical School, UNSW, Best Research Presentation Asia Pacific Federation of Coloproctology, Outstanding Research Presentation Thomas Ashworth Symposium, Best Research Presentation Hospital Week Research Symposium Westmead Hospital, Best Evidence Based Health Care QuWest Awards.
• He has also been the recipient of numerous grants and fellowships including the RACS Foundation for Surgery Research Grant, SSWAHS Research Grant, Cancer Institute New South Wales Innovation in Cancer Control Grant, NHMRC Ideas Grant, John Flynn Scholarship and Morgan Travelling Fellowship, which allowed him to undertake and complete his training in robotic colorectal surgery in Korea.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• A/Prof. Toh studied Medicine at UNSW, graduating in 2005. He completed his internship and residency at Liverpool Hospital and then trained at St George Hospital, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Tweed Hospital, Wollongong Hospital, Fairfield Hospital and Liverpool Hospital.
• He completed his general surgical training, becoming a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS).
• He then completed 3 additional years of sub-specialty training in Colorectal Surgery (at Liverpool Hospital, Bankstown Lidcombe Hospital and Concord Repatriation General Hospital)
• Following his Australian general and colorectal fellowships, A/Prof. Toh trained in Korea University Anam Hospital as the International Visiting Surgeon in Robotic Surgery. He has also trained at Minimal Access Surgery Training Centre (MASTC) in Pamela Youde Hospital in Hong Kong.
• A/Prof. Toh has also completed a PhD (University of Sydney) in colorectal cancer in 2021, examining how molecular biomarkers, circulating tumour cells and the tumour microenvironment impacts on survival, with the goal of improving survival and management in colorectal cancer.
• A/Prof. Toh is a member of RACS, CSSANZ, General Surgeons Australia (GSA) and is a friend of the National Rural Health Alliance (NRHA). He is accredited by the Gastrointestinal Enterological Society of Australia (GESA) in gastroscopy and colonoscopy. He is also a member of the Centre for Oncology Education and Research Translation (CONCERT) at the Ingham Institute of Applied Research, Senior Lecturer for UNSW and and Clinical Associate Professor University of Sydney, and is a member of the Millenium Institute with the Mucosal Immunology Group.
• A/Prof. Toh is the Chair of the Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) working group (Agency for Clinical Innovation) in NSW.
IN THE MEDIA
• The Pulse
• The Pulse
• Hills News
• Liverpool Champion
• NSW AMA DIT Awards
• South West Sydney Research http://www.southwestsydneyresearch.org.au/south-west-sydney-researchers-recognised-as-heroes-of-liverpool/
• SouthWest Voice
• Medical Journal of Australia
LINKS TO PROFESSIONAL PAGES
• Linked In A/Prof. James Toh https://au.linkedin.com/in/james-toh-a561b9b2
• Researchgate A/Prof. James Toh https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Toh2
• Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=50mDxGYAAAAJ&hl=en
• Royal Australasian College of Surgeons http://www.surgeons.org/profile/dr-james-toh